Image Map

Friday, August 24, 2012

[TUTORIAL] Sculpt A Crescent Moon

I apologize for not posting in over a week! Also, IT'S MY BIRTHDAY! This post was supposed to be posted before I left on my mini vacation to visit my sister and nephew last weekend, BUT my husband decided to crush all my hopes and dreams the Tardises I had spent the last 5 days crafting right before we left on our trip. When we got back on Monday, I was so demotivated and depressed that I put off a few days on repairing the Tardises and moped about the house. But! Life must go on and so will the crafting! Everything written past this first paragraph was before the tragic crushing of the Tardises. They have since been repaired and now are for sale here.

It's a Tardis army!!!

The last few days of my life have been filled with lots of crafting. Ever since my first pair of Dr. Who Tardis earrings sold out in under 30 minutes after posting to my Etsy shop, I've been working on a 6 pairs (yes! 12 Tardises! AHH) of Tardis earrings. That one pair took me forever to make and these 12 have taken even longer.

My husband and I took a day trip to JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby two weeks ago and I bought new paint and new detail brushes specifically for the Tardis project. The paint I used for my first pair of Tardis was old and had become a bit clumpy. I bought some DecoArt Americana acrylic paint and it paints surprisingly smooth for $0.97/bottle, although a bit thin. I had to paint 5 coats of paint to get to the right shade of royal blue. My old detail brushes were becoming a bit shaggy and thin so I bought a pack of new teeny tiny brushes and they painted the tiny window details like a dream.

Just as I thought I was finally finished with the Tardises.... I realized that I was out of clear spray enamel and Lowe's was closed and Wal-Mart did not carry the Rustoleum brand I preferred. Ugh. Another day behind. :( I've had a problem with Krylon varnish turning yellow over time and getting tacky/sticky after prolonged exposure to high humidity. Living in the highly humid South, that is a very very bad thing to have happen when you're outside sporting off your fancy earrings and then realize they're literally melting. :(

While, I was waiting for the Tardises to dry between coats, I finished up my "Shoot For The Stars" earrings! Check them out!



I even made a beginner's mini tutorial on how to make the crescent moon!

I'm trying to shorten and simplify my tutorials. I hope that this isn't too vague for those wanting to start out using Sculpey/polymer clay for the first time. You can also click on the image to make it bigger.



I used HanaClayWorksstar tutorial to make the cute clay stars! It's very helpful and easy in making those points all equal and symmetrical. She also has tons of other helpful tutorials!

If you would like to purchase these earrings, you can either click on the photo or click here.

Well, that's it for today's post. If you have any questions about using Sculpey/polymer clay, please let me know by posting below! Thanks for reading. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment